|Motto||Ad astra per aspera (Latin)|
Motto in English
|A Rough Road Leads to the Stars|
|President||Jerry M. Wallace|
4120 (main campus)
|Location||Buies Creek, North Carolina, USA
|Campus||Rural, 1,500-acre (6.1 km2) main campus|
|Colors||Orange and Black|
|Athletics||NCAA Division I – Big South
Pioneer Football League
|Nickname||Fighting Camels / Lady Camels|
|Mascot||Gaylord the Camel|
|Affiliations||Baptist State Convention of North Carolina
Campbell University is a coeducational, Baptist university in the U.S. state of North Carolina. Its main campus is located in the community of Buies Creek; its law school moved from Buies Creek to a new campus in the state capital of Raleigh in 2009. Campbell has an approximately equal number of male and female students. The school consciously promotes the awareness and application of Christian principles. It is a university of the liberal arts and sciences, offering both theory and vocational education and hosting several professional schools.
|James Archibald Campbell:||1887-1934|
|Leslie Hartwell Campbell||1934-1967|
|Norman Adrian Wiggins||1967-2003|
|Jerry M. Wallace||2003–2015 (Will resign in July 2015)|
|Bradley J. Creed||2015-present|
Campbell University was founded as a community school on January 5, 1887 called Buies Creek Academy. It was founded by North Carolina minister James Archibald Campbell, under the conviction that no student should be denied admission because of lack of funds. In 1926, the school attained junior college status and changed its name from Buies Creek Academy to Campbell Junior College. In 1961, Campbell became a senior college. The name was changed to Campbell University on June 6, 1979 with the addition of the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law.
The Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law was founded in 1976, and the Lundy-Fetterman School of Business was begun in 1983. The Pharmacy School and School of Education were established in 1985. The Divinity School was established in 1995. The School of Law moved from Buies Creek to its new Raleigh campus in 2009. The School of Osteopathic Medicine, North Carolina's first new medical school in more than 35 years, opened in August 2013.
Located in the Sandhills of southeastern North Carolina, the University is nestled in the small unincorporated village of Buies Creek near the Cape Fear River. The Buies Creek census-designated place population was only 2,215 in the 2000 census and the surrounding area remains rural. However, Buies Creek is approximately 33 miles (53 km) south of Raleigh, the state capital, North Carolina's second-largest city, and approximately 33 miles (53 km) north of Fayetteville, North Carolina's sixth-largest city.
The center of campus is Academic Circle, which fronts Leslie Campbell Avenue to the south. Academic Circle is a grass thoroughfare, laced with sidewalks and magnolia trees that is surrounded on the south by dormitories Kitchin Hall (1955) and Baldwin Hall (1958) and along the north by the Frederick L. Taylor Hall of Religion (1973) (Divinity School), D. Rich Memorial Building (1923), Kivett Hall (1903) (formerly Law School), Wiggins Hall (1993) (formerly Law School), Butler Chapel (2009) and Britt Hall (1947) (campus bookstore).
North of Academic Circle the buildings flank the newly developed Fellowship Commons, a series of brick sidewalks and gathering places that connect the campus from the west on T.T. Lanier Street to the east on Main Street. In this part of campus are Marshbanks Dining Hall (1934), Leslie H. Campbell Hall of Science (1961), J.P. Riddle Pharmacy Center (1991), Maddox Hall (2007) (Pharmacy School), Pearson Hall (1915), Carrie Rich Memorial Library (1925), Carter Gymnasium (1952) and James A. Campbell Administration Building (1961).
Beyond Fellowship Commons lies the north campus which contains several residence halls along with the Taylor Bott Rogers Fine Arts Center (1984) and the Lundy-Fetterman School of Business (1999). East of Main Street are more of Campbell's athletic facilities including, Taylor Field (baseball), Johnson Memorial Natatorium (swimming), and the John W. Pope, Jr. Convocation Center as well as the Buies Creek post office.
South of Leslie Campbell Avenue are more residence halls, including the new student apartments in Barker Hall (2005). South of U.S. Highway 421 are athletic fields and the Campbell Football Stadium. The newly constructed 96,000 sq. ft. Leon Levine Hall of Medical Science across Highway 421 hosts the new School of Osteopathic Medicine and the Physicians Assistant Program.
Campbell offers over 100 tracks and concentrations; master’s programs in business, education, pharmaceutical science, clinical research and divinity; and professional programs in law, pharmacy, physician assistant, and medicine. The University also makes study abroad and other special programs available. In 2012, the undergraduate acceptance rate was reported at 40.5%. Along with Campbell's premier undergraduate programs, the school has also achieved renown for its graduate programs. Since its establishment in 1986, Campbell University School of Pharmacy, now College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, has maintained a 99 percent passage rate on both state and national exams. In ten of the last sixteen years, Campbell Pharmacy students have achieved a 100 percent passage rate on the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX).
The School of Law Class of 2006 scored a 97% passage rate on July’s North Carolina Bar Exam, topping all other law schools in the state. Campbell University’s Norman A. Wiggins School of Law was featured in the Princeton Review’s 2007 edition of the “Best 170 Law Schools” publication. Graduates of the School of Law have frequently led in passage rates on the North Carolina Bar Exam since the school’s establishment in 1976, including a 100 percent passage rate in 1994, the first time all members of a graduation class accomplished that feat in North Carolina history.
The Campbell University Divinity school offers both undergraduate and graduate level degrees. The Divinity School officially opened on August 19, 1996. Thirty-five founding students enrolled the first year of the Divinity school. These students constituted the Charter Class of eighty-four students.
The Lundy-Fetterman School of Business offers a joint MBA with Pharm.D., J.D., and M.Div. students. Also, undergraduate business students have the option of electing to stay a fifth year to earn a joint BBA/MBA. Campbell is a dynamic institution in the wealth management industry by offering a one-of-a-kind degree, the Bachelor of Business Administration in Trust and Wealth Management. Banks and financial institutions from around the country court Campbell students for paid summer internships and for permanent hire upon graduation. The Lundy-Fetterman School of Business also offers one of twenty PGA accredited golf programs in the United States.
In August 2011, the College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences launched a master's degree in Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS). One year later, it began a Master of Science in Public Health degree program. The University is also seeking accreditation for a new Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program with a projected start date of January 2014. The University's newest school, the School of Osteopathic Medicine, welcomed its first class in August 2013. The mission of the Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community-based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and underserved populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States and the nation.
Campbell University fields 17 NCAA Division I sports and are adding women's lacrosse in 2012 to raise the total to 18. As of the 2011-2012 academic year, the Camels rejoined the Big South Conference after a 17 year hiatus in which they served as a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Lady Camels' swim team is a member of the Coastal Collegiate Swimming Association (CCSA). The Men's Wrestling team is an associate member of the Southern Conference.
Campbell completed the John W. Pope Convocation Center, an athletic complex for basketball, volleyball and wrestling. The facility houses a game basketball court, practice basketball court, practice wrestling room, varsity weight room, student fitness center, plethora of locker rooms, and the Department of Exercise Science. The wrestling team and the volleyball team both have matches an games on the main basketball court.
The Lyricist is Campbell University's literary magazine, featuring poetry and prose from students and statewide contributors.
The Campbell Times