Welcome to MedLibrary.org. For best results, we recommend beginning with the navigation links at the top of the page, which can guide you through our collection of over 14,000 medication labels and package inserts. For additional information on other topics which are not covered by our database of medications, just enter your topic in the search box below:
Consumer organizations may operate via protests, campaigning or lobbying. They may engage in single-issue advocacy (e.g., the British Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), which campaigned against keg beer and for cask ale) or they may set themselves up as more general consumer watchdogs, such as the Consumers' Association in the UK.
One common means of providing consumers useful information is the independent comparative survey or test of products or services, involving different manufacturers or companies (e.g., Which?, Consumer Reports, etcetera).
Another arena where consumer organizations have operated is food safety. The needs for campaigning in this area are less easy to reconcile with their traditional methods, since the scientific, dietary or medical evidence is normally more complex than in other arenas, such as the electric safety of white goods. The current standards on mandatory labelling, in developed countries, have in part been shaped by past lobbying by consumer groups.
The aim of consumer organizations may be to establish and to attempt to enforce consumer rights. Effective work has also been done, however, simply by using the threat of bad publicity to keep companies' focus on the consumers' point of view.
Consumer organizations may attempt to serve consumer interests by relatively direct actions such as creating and/or disseminating market information, and prohibiting specific acts or practices,or by promoting competitive forces in the markets which directly or indirectly affect consumers (such as transport, electricity, communications, etc.).
Trade associations and professional societies began to establish standards organizations to reduce industry waste and increase productivity. Consumers leagues modeled themselves after trade unions in their attempts to improve the marketplace with boycotts in the same way that trade unions sought to improve working conditions with strike action.
Consumer organizations in various countries
- Consumers International - International NGO
- ANEC (Europe; focus on standardization)
- BEUC (Europe; French: Bureau Européen des Unions de Consommateurs)
- ICRT The only independent international organization for consumer research and testing
- Proteste 
- Stiftung Warentest
- Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband (vzbv)
- Consumer Guidance Society of India
- The Consumers Eye India
Grahak Shakti-Bengaluru-Karnataka-Non profit Non Political Voluntary Consumer Organisation working for the empowerment of Consumer for over two and half decades.Very dedicated and doing yeomen service to the society. They have a large membership base with about 21 Life Timers who contribute their time and energy honorarily. It is driven by a passionate Managing Trustee who leads from front and puts in his money to steer the organisation. They are very principled and have earned Consumer Confidence. They have faced several crisis for being bold and uncompromising in their outlook. Remarkable indeed.
AKHIL BHARTIYA GRAHAK PANCHAYAT - Largest consumer group in India with its branches all over the country. Have in its credit formation of Consumer Protection Act. 1986 by Indian parliament. Ashok trivedi its national secretary, work form his office, D26, Dayanand Nagar, 74 Bungelow, Bhopal. Blogs can be followed at ashoktrivedii.blogspot.in
- Korea Consumer Agency (founded in 1987)
- De Consumentenbond (founded in 1953)
- The Consumers Eye Pakistan (founded in 2005) 
The Consumers Eye Pakistan (TCEP) is a registered social welfare non governmental organization(NGO) of Pakistan an independent and authoritative voice for consumers since year 2005, building a powerful movement to help protect and empower consumers in Pakistan and to create consumer awareness against substandard, unregistered, counterfeit, and adulterated products. The Consumers Eye Pakistan is working to promote and serve for standardization and Quality consciousness culture in Pakistan. The Consumers Eye Pakistan is organizer of Quality Standard Award in Pakistan, collaboration with Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority (PSQCA) Ministry of Science and Technology Government of Pakistan and actively involved in improving quality and standards of the citizens of Pakistan.
- Consumer Voice Pakistan (CVP) (founded in 1999) 
Consumer VOICE Pakistan (CVP) is a Voluntary Organization in Interest of Consumer Education-is the Voice of and for the consumers in every sense. A voluntary action group in Pakistan, it consists of academicians, professionals and volunteers channelising their energies towards creating informed consumers. It raises awareness in consumers not only about malpractices perpetuated in the market place, but also about her/his rights. Consumer VOICE aims at being the most powerful tool in the hands of the consumer to help them fight for value for their money. Consumer awareness has become important because of the liberalizing economy. Consumers need guidance to make informed choice in the products and services available. They need protection against deficient services and products with timely information and intervention. Our Mission is to promote right choices in a volatile and dynamic market place by providing consumer education for all through integrating experiential good practices and scientific knowledge for the safety and health of consumers and the environment.. Consumer VOICE Pakistan (CVP) publishes monthly Consumer VOICE magazine in Pakistan.
- DECO.ProTeste 
Republic of Ireland
- The National Consumer Agency (NCA) is a statutory body that defends consumer interests in the Republic of Ireland
- Asociatia Nationala pentru Protectia Consumatorilor si Promovarea Programelor si Strategiilor din Romania/ National Association for Consumers Protection and Promotion of Programs and Strategies from Romania
- Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios (OCU) 
- Uganda Consumer Action Network (U-CAN)  is a non-government, not-for profit organisation founded in 2007 and registered as a company limited by guarantee. It works towards ensuring that consumers, especially the most vulnerable (rural poor, disabled, elderly and women) get value for their money through quick, easy, accessible and affordable alternate dispute resolution mechanisms.
In the United Kingdom, the Enterprise Act 2002 allows consumer bodies that have been approved by the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry to be designated as "super-complainants" to the Office of Fair Trading. These super-complainants are intended to, "strengthen the voice of consumers," who are "unlikely to have access individually to the kind of information necessary to judge whether markets are failing for them." Eight have been designated as of 2007:
- CAMRA - a lobbying group concerned with the tradition and quality of beer.
- The Citizen's Advice Bureau, a free service that provides legal advice, practical help and information on consumer rights across the country.
- Consumer Council for Water (formerly known as Watervoice)
- Consumer Direct ( abolished per 31 March 2012 with its functions being passed to Local Trading Standards Departments and Citizens Advice Consumer Services ) .
- Consumer Focus ( formerly National Consumer Council ) . The Government announced as part of the October 2010 spending review that Consumer Focus will be abolished , with the Consumer Direct helpline taken over by Citizens Advice . Some of Consumer Focus' functions would transfer to Citizens Advice , Citizens Advice Scotland and the General Consumer Council for Northern Ireland following the Public Bodies Act 2011 and any necessary secondary legislation . The transfer is expected to begin April 2013 and be complete by April 2014 .
- General Consumer Council of Northern Ireland
- Good Garage Scheme, an automobile repair shop motoring scheme
- Which? - formerly the Consumers Association - a consumer advocacy organisation which has substantial powers (for example to take representative actions under the Competition Act 1998) but which is primarily a lobbying organisation funded entirely by subscriptions to its regular consumer information magazine.
- Alliance for Justice
- American Consumer Institute
- Better Business Bureau
- Consumer Action
- Consumer Federation of California
- Consumers Union, publishers of Consumer Reports
- Consumer Watchdog, formerly the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights
- Public Citizen
- Consumer Federation of America
- Center for Science in the Public Interest (food/nutrition)
- National Consumers League
- U.S. Public Interest Research Group
- Consumer Complaint Form, Federal Trade Commission
- Rao, Hayagreeva (1998). "Caveat emptor: The construction of nonprofit consumer watchdog organizations.". The American Journal of Sociology 103 (4): 912–961. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Super-Complaints - BERR