|Single by Dusty Springfield|
|from the album Reputation|
|B-side||"In Private" (Instrumental)|
|Released||27 November 1989|
|Format||7", 12" vinyl, CD single|
|Dusty Springfield singles chronology|
"In Private" was the third single in a row to be a charting success for British singer Dusty Springfield, after nearly two decades of little chart success. Both "In Private" and Springfield's previous single, "Nothing Has Been Proved" were produced by Pet Shop Boys, who helped return Springfield to prominence with their 1987 hit collaboration "What Have I Done to Deserve This?". Both Springfield singles were included on her 1990 British album Reputation.
Releases and chart performances
"In Private" peaked at #14 in the British charts. Though not released as a single in the United States, it proved to be popular with club DJs on both coasts and charted on the Hot 100 Dance/Club Play charts, also at #14. A separate remix single with an orange cover - as opposed to the other formats' colours of green (see right; also used for 12" and 7" versions) and purple (for the CD single) - was also released both on 12" and CD in certain territories, featuring three radically rearranged and remixed dance versions by Shep Pettibone.
The song was later re-recorded and released in 2006 on Fundamentalism, the limited edition second disc released with the Pet Shop Boys' album Fundamental. This version also appeared as the b-side to the single "Minimal", released the same year. It is performed as a duet between Neil Tennant and Elton John. The fact that both of them are openly gay men makes all the more pointed the song's subject of a hidden relationship that one of the participants is ashamed to admit to, especially on the following lines: Tennant: "What you gonna say when you run back to your wife?" / John: "I guess it's just the story of my life...!" / Both: "What are you gonna say...?"
In 1996, a Dutch cover version of the song was a big comeback hit for Flemish singer, Liliane Saint-Pierre.
- 7" single / Cassette
- "In Private" — 4:21
- "In Private" (instrumental) — 4:21
- 12" maxi / CD maxi
- "In Private" (12" version) — 7:12
- "In Private" (7" version) — 4:24
- "In Private" (instrumental version) — 4:24
- 12" maxi / CD maxi - Remixes
- "In Private" (remix) — 8:53
- "In Private" (dub) — 6:34
- "In Private" (bonus beats) — 3:56
- Written and produced by Pet Shop Boys
- Backing vocals by Carol Kenyon and Katie Kassoon
- Co-produced and mixed and engineered by Julian Mendelsohn
- Assistant: Danton Supple
- Keyboards and programmations by Gary Maughan
- Remixes by Shep Pettibone
- Artwork by 3a
- on spine: 20 3618 6
- on back sleeve K: 060 20 3618 6
- on labels: 060-20 3618 6
- "Single top 100 over 1990" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- "In Private", in various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- German Singles Chart Charts-surfer.de (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved January 12, 2009)
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved January 12, 2009)