Welcome to MedLibrary.org. For best results, we recommend beginning with the navigation links at the top of the page, which can guide you through our collection of over 14,000 medication labels and package inserts. For additional information on other topics which are not covered by our database of medications, just enter your topic in the search box below:
Kirk MacDonald is a Canadian jazz musician and composer. He has been nominated for four Juno Awards, with his Album “The Atlantic Sessions” winning the 1999 Juno Award for Best Mainstream Jazz Album.
With an established reputation as one of Canada's leading saxophonists, Kirk MacDonald cut his first record at the age of thirteen. Throughout his career, he has received numerous awards, and has worked with many leading musicians in a variety of musical genres. He has performed on over 40 CDs as both leader and sideman, and has participated in numerous national broadcast recordings for CBC Radio. In addition to performing extensively throughout Canada, he has also performed in the USA, France, Spain, Italy, Holland, Monaco, Australia, Korea, Bermuda, and the Bahamas.
For over 25 years Kirk has worked and recorded with many leading Canadian, U.S. and International jazz musicians including Claude Ranger, Dave Young, Sam Noto, Sonny Greenwich, Kenny Wheeler, Eddie Henderson, Harold Mabern, Walter Bishop Jr., Lorne Lofsky, Bob Mover, Pat LaBarbera, John Taylor, Ron McClure, Mike Stern, Jim McNeely, Vince Mendoza, John Clayton, Chris Potter, Glenn Ferris, Nancy Walker, Barry Romberg, Andre White, Rob Smith, Brian Dickinson, Denny Christianson, Bernie Senensky, Phil Nimmons, James Moody, Rosemary Clooney, and the Humber College Faculty Ensemble
As a composer, he has recorded over 50 of his own compositions. Most recently, a number of his pieces have been arranged for large ensembles by leading Canadian and American arrangers. Kirk MacDonald has been active as an educator for almost 25 years at both the college and university levels.
Awards and Nominations
As Leader or Soloist
- 2009 - the Canada Council's "Victor Martyn Lynch-Staunton Award"
- 2007 - Now Magazine - Saxophonist of the Year
- 2005 - National Jazz Awards Nomination - Saxophonist of the Year
- 2004 - National Jazz Awards Nomination - Saxophonist of the Year
- 2003 - National Jazz Awards Nomination - Saxophonist of the Year
- 2002 - Winner - Concours International de Soliste de Jazz - Monaco
- 2001 - Juno Award Nomination - Best Mainstream Jazz Album (New Beginnings)
- 2001 - Canadian Indie Music Award Nomination - Best Jazz Recording (New Beginnings)
- 1999 - Juno Award - Best Mainstream Jazz Album (The Atlantic Sessions)
- 1999 - Jazz Report Awards - Album of the Year (The Atlantic Sessions)
- 1999 - Jazz Report Awards - Tenor Saxophonist of the Year
- 1996 - Nomination for East Coast Music Award - Jazz Artist of the Year (Reminiscence)
With Other Artists
- 2009 - Juno Award Nominee - Contemporary Jazz Album of the Year (Existential Detective) (Random Access Large Ensemble)
- 2003 - Montreal Jazz Festival Prix de Jazz (Nancy Walker Quartet)
- 2001 - Juno Award Nominee - Best Vocal Jazz (This Is How Men Cry) (Marc Jordan) Blue Note Records
- 2000 - Juno Award Nominee - Best Mainstream Jazz Album (New Horizons) (Bernie Senensky) Timeless
- 1999 - Juno Award Nominee - Best Mainstream Jazz Album (Siren's Song) (Maritime Jazz Orchestra) Justin Time
- 1999 - Montreal Jazz Festival Prix de Jazz (Chris Mitchell Quintet)
- Deep Shadows (ADDO Jazz Recordings) - Recorded May 2nd, 2010 in Toronto. Released April 2011.
- Songbook Vol. 2 (ADDO Jazz Recordings) - Recorded June 18 - 21, 2009 at Humber Recording Studios in Toronto, Ontario
- Songbook Vol. 1 (ADDO Jazz Recordings) - Recorded June 18 - 21, 2009 at Humber Recording Studios in Toronto, Ontario
- Family Suite (Romhog Records) - Recorded at Humber Recording Studios, Toronto, Ontario, August 11 - 13, 2008.
- Pure and Simple (Justin Time Records) - Recorded April 2 & 3, 2001 at AKW Studios, Montreal
- New Beginnings (Radioland Records) - Recorded at: Reaction Studio, Toronto, Ontario
- The Atlantic Sessions (Koch International) - Recorded July 19 & 20,1997 at Atlantimix Studios Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Reminiscence (Cornerstone Records) - Recorded at: Glenn Gould Studio,Toronto, July 15-17,1994
- The Revellers (Unity) - Recorded: March 18 & 19, 1990 at Jazz Partners Studios, Toronto
Original compositions recorded
SONGBOOK VOL. I (ADDO Jazz Recordings) New Piece Manhattan Getaway Moulage Calendula By Invitation Only Fleeting Goodbye Glenn
FAMILY SUITE (Romhog Records) Movement l Movement ll Movement lll Movement lV Movement V Movement Vl Movement Vll Movement Vlll Movement lX Movement X Movement Xl
PURE AND SIMPLE (Justin Time) New Piece Alicante Opal Essence Five By Five
NEW BEGINNINGS (Radioland) On The Sierra Nevada Starlight Lament For A Better Tomorrow Sideways Kirk's Blues Calendula New Beginnings
THE ATLANTIC SESSIONS (KOCH Jazz) The Mill Dam Kirk's Blues Monkie's Uncle 1000 West Two Night Stand
REMINISCENCE (Counterpoint) Reminiscence Advance Notice Moulage Deep Shadows Manhattan Getaway For Melvin Moon In Pisces Portrait Of Lucie
THE REVELLERS (Unity-Page) 224 Blues Forward Motion The Revellers Carnival
THE POWER OF BEAUTY (A Tribute To Stan Getz) (Various Artists) (Radioland) 517
Original compositions recorded by other artists
SIGNAL Andre White (Cornerstone) By Invitation Only Goodbye Glen
SHAPESHIFT Keiran Overs (Unity-Page) Moon In Pisces
THE WITCHES OF RED BEARD Chris Mitchell (KOCH-Jazz) The Buddy System You See But You Don't Hear
SPECTRUM Chris Mitchell (Justin Time) Vanda Justina Fleeting The Torch Bearers
LA DOLCE VITA New Berlin Chamber Ensemble (NBCE) Moulage
SECOND DEBUT Joe Coughlin (Innovation) Spring Lyric Waltz For A Libra Lady Seascape
UNDER A TREE Toronto Jazz Orchestra (TJO Records) Alicante (arranged by Mike Smith)
AWAKENING University of Toronto 10 O'Clock Jazz Orchestra (UTJ) Calendula (arranged by Terry Promane)