Welcome to MedLibrary.org. For best results, we recommend beginning with the navigation links at the top of the page, which can guide you through our collection of over 14,000 medication labels and package inserts. For additional information on other topics which are not covered by our database of medications, just enter your topic in the search box below:
|Pearland High School|
|Motto||Pride, Honor, Success|
|Type||Public high school|
|Location||3775 South Main,
Pearland, Texas, United States
|Colors||Maroon, white and black|
|Rival||Glenda Dawson High School|
Pearland High School (PHS) is an American public high school, located in Pearland, Texas, south of Houston. It is one of two high schools in the Pearland Independent School District, and serves parts of Pearland and most of the city of Brookside Village. The school was also classified as a recognized school by the Texas Education Agency in the 2008–2009 school year.
Background and history
Prior to the school's establishment in 1937, Pearland students had to attend secondary school in Webster. The first graduating class in 1938 included valedictorian was Beatrice Woods who would become Beatrice Woods Theriot after marrying Melvin Theriot.
The original Pearland School, opened in 1937, had a staff of about 25 people and served 100 students on Grand Boulevard. That building is now the Pearland branch of Alvin Community College.
In 1953, the campus moved to Galveston Avenue, and the Grand Boulevard school became Pearland Elementary (later C.J. Harris Elementary). In 1991, high school moved again, to Main Street (SH 35). The Galveston Avenue property is now the Education Support Center (administration), Pearland Jr. High West, and Sablatura Middle School.
The school's mascot is the Oiler Rig or "Oiler". In contrast to the local legend, the mascot was not inspired by the Houston Oilers professional football team (the school was established 25 years before the team). Instead it is a tribute to an important sector of the local and regional economy. Several local businesses in Pearland are related to the oil industry, including a helicopter service that ferries people to nearby off-shore oil wells in the Gulf of Mexico.
The school achieved prominence for its academics and size in the 1990s. By the mid-1990s, it was classified as a 5-A school with well over 4,000 students.
The "Pride of Pearland" Pearland Marching Band has excelled both on and off the field. They've been perrennial conenders in the State Marching Band contest, and have earned a "Division 1" ranking in the UIL concert and sightreading contest for over 30 years in a row.
On December 18, 2010, its football team defeated the Euless Trinity Trojans 28–24 (ranked first in the nation by ESPN) at Cowboys Stadium, in Arlington, Texas, to win the 5A Division I State Championship. This was its first state championship in the school's history. The school capped its first championship by going 16–0 through the 2010 season. The Oilers had also defeated the storied Katy Tigers in route to their accomplishment.
As of the 2011–2012 school year, the high school no longer had as strict of a standardized dress.
- Ricky Churchman – professional American football safety and punt-return specialist with the San Francisco 49ers
- Jarrod Cooper – former professional American football safety with the Oakland Raiders and the Carolina Panthers
- Jesse Crochet – graphic designer
- Anthony Dickerson – former professional American football linebacker with the Dallas Cowboys and the Buffalo Bills
- Kirk Dressendorfer – former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Craig Hlavaty – writer, Houston Press; and guest host of KIAH television program NewsFix
- Clay Hensley – Major League Baseball pitcher
- members of The Judy's – a punk and new wave band from the late 1970s and early 1980s
- Lauren Lanning – beauty pageant titleholder; Miss Texas USA 2006; competed in the Miss USA 2006 pageant
- Donald Miller – Christian author
- Thomas Morstead – professional American football punter and kickoff specialist with the New Orleans Saints
- Cyril Obiozor – professional American football linebacker with the Denver Broncos
- Sarah Tressler – former Houston Chronicle author, outed stripper
- http://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band. Retrieved 21 April 2013. Missing or empty
- "Pearland shocks #1 Euless Trinity, wins 5A state title". KHOU. December 19, 2010.
- . Pearland Independent School District.
- Staff (August 15, 2011). "Pearland Independent School District – 2011–2012 Dress Code" (PDF format; requires Adobe Reader). Pearland Independent School District. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Database (undated). "Ricky Churchman". NFL.com. Retrieved September 11, 2007.
- Database (undated). "Jarrod Cooper". thefootballcube.com. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Database (undated). "Anthony Dickerson". NFL.com. Retrieved September 11, 2007.
- Database (undated). "Kirk Dressendorfer". thebaseballcube.com. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Database (undated). "Craig Hlavaty". Houston Press. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Database (undated). "Clay Hensley". thebaseballcube.com. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Staff (undated). "Lauren Lanning – The Official Site of Lauren Lanning". laurenlanning.com. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Database (undated). "Thomas Morstead". NFL.com. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- Database (undated). "Cyril Obiozor". NFL.com. Retrieved November 9, 2012.