Welcome to MedLibrary.org. For best results, we recommend beginning with the navigation links at the top of the page, which can guide you through our collection of over 14,000 medication labels and package inserts. For additional information on other topics which are not covered by our database of medications, just enter your topic in the search box below:
Location of Sanderstead in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Croydon|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|10 March 1884||Opened|
|Lists of stations|
On the London-bound platform is a manned ticket office (staffed for most of the day) and a self-service passenger-operated ticket machine is located outside the station on the London-bound side. No self-service PERTIS (PERMIT TO TRAVEL) passenger-operated coin-in-the-slot ticket machine is available.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
Sanderstead was opened on 10 March 1884 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway and the South Eastern Railway upon the opening of their line between Croydon and East Grinstead. Sanderstead's population at this time was around 300, rising to 534 by 1901. An extensive bookstall was opened on the up platform, and a signal box on the down platform.
The original station building was weather-boarded, cheap to construct but requiring regular maintenance. It was destroyed by fire in June 1986 and a new brick-built which in the opinion of some is an unimaginative replacement opened in September 1987. The signal box closed on 2 November 1985 and was demolished in August 1987. Electrification of the South Croydon- East Grinstead line was approved by BR in the early 1980s following which the section between South Croydon- Sanderstead was electrified in 1984 using some redundant materials from the closed Woodside-Selsdon line. The full service of electric trains to East Grinstead was introduced in October 1987.
Also in the mid-1980s there were peak services to and from Holborn Viaduct which terminated at Sanderstead.
Electric trains from Sanderstead served the Woodside and South Croydon Railway to Elmers End until the line closed in 1983; at that time, fewer than 150 people were using the service per day, which ran on weekdays at peak hours between Elmers End and Sanderstead. A short stretch of that line from the former Selsdon station towards the site of Spencer Road Halt continued in use to serve an oil terminal until March 1993. Croydon Tramlink runs on part of the disused rail line on its Elmers End, Beckenham Jn and Addington services.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Woodside and South Croydon Railway
The station building is staffed until five minutes after the last train everyday. There is a small tea bar at one end of the station which has recently been re-opened; it is open only during morning peak hours. There is a footbridge used to cross between platforms. The station has been selling second hand books for charity since 2009 and a certificate hangs in the station showing how much they have raised so far. A children's table and chairs has also recently been installed.
- "Station usage". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. 30 April 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2011. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (March 1995). Croydon (Woodside) to East Grinstead (Country Railway Routes). Midhurst, West Sussex: Middleton Press. p. Plate 30. ISBN 1-873793-48-0 [Amazon-US | Amazon-UK].
- Mitchell, V. and Smith, K., plate 39.
- Mitchell, V. and Smith, K., plate 35.
- Mitchell, V. and Smith, K., plate 55.
- Mitchell, V. and Smith, K., plate 38.
- Mitchell, V. and Smith, K., plate 30.