|Church of Saint Augustine
(Chiesa di Sant'Agostino)
Façade of the Basilica.
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||National monument|
Begun by the Augustinians in 1260, it is one of the few Gothic buildings remaining in the city, after the numerous demolitions in the 19th century. It has a typical façade with bichrome stripes in white marble and blue stone, with a large rose window in the middle. Notable is the ogival portal with, in the lunette, a fresco depicting St Augustine by Giovanni Battista Merano. At the sides are two double mullioned windows.
The interior has a nave and two aisles divided by ogival arches supported by robust columns with cubic capitals. The church has also two cloister now included into a museum.