Welcome to MedLibrary.org. For best results, we recommend beginning with the navigation links at the top of the page, which can guide you through our collection of over 14,000 medication labels and package inserts. For additional information on other topics which are not covered by our database of medications, just enter your topic in the search box below:
|Classification and external resources|
Commonly found in head of pancreas, and are malignant.
Elevated plasma levels of Somatostatin.
in a normal subject actions of somatostatin include:
- In the anterior pituitary gland, the effects of somatostatin are:
- Somatostatin suppresses the release of gastrointestinal hormones
- Lowers the rate of gastric emptying, and reduces smooth muscle contractions and blood flow within the intestine
- Suppresses the release of pancreatic hormones
- Suppresses the exocrine secretory action of pancreas.
This explaining how abnormally elevated somatostatin can cause diabetes mellitus, by inhibiting insulin secretion, steatorrhoea by inhibiting cholecystokinin and secretin, gall stones by inhibiting cholecystokinin which normally induce gallbladder myocytes contraction, and hypochlorhydria caused by inhibiting gastrin, which normally stimulate acid secretion.
Somatostatinomas are associated with calcium deposits called psammoma bodies.