Welcome to MedLibrary.org. For best results, we recommend beginning with the navigation links at the top of the page, which can guide you through our collection of over 14,000 medication labels and package inserts. For additional information on other topics which are not covered by our database of medications, just enter your topic in the search box below:
|State University of New York College at Oneonta|
|Motto||Founded in Honor and Good Faith|
|Undergraduates||5,852 undergraduate students|
|Location||Oneonta, New York, USA|
|Campus||Rural, 250 acres|
The State University of New York College at Oneonta (more commonly known as SUNY Oneonta, and also called Oneonta State and O-State) is a four-year liberal arts college in Oneonta, New York, United States, with approximately 5,900 students. The college offers a wide variety of bachelor's degree programs and a number of graduate degrees. Many academic programs at SUNY Oneonta hold additional national accreditations, including those in Business Economics, Education, Music Industry, Human Ecology, Dietetics and Chemistry. SUNY Oneonta was ranked No. 41 on the 2012 U.S. News and World Report list of “Best Colleges” in the North; named to the Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine list of "100 Best Values in Public Colleges” for six years running; and included on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll every year since its inception in 2006. In 2011, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching conferred upon SUNY Oneonta its Community Engagement Classification “in recognition of the college’s civic partnerships and successful efforts to integrate service activities into its curriculum."
SUNY Oneonta was established in 1889 as the Oneonta Normal School. It was located in a building nicknamed “Old Main” at the top of Maple Street in the city of Oneonta. The school’s first principal was James M. Milne, for whom the college's current library is named. For nearly 40 years, Old Main was the only building on campus, until 1933 when Bugbee School was built. Named after Percy I. Bugbee, the second principal of the Oneonta Normal School, Bugbee School provided an on-campus training facility for the student teachers attending the normal school. In 1948, the college became a founding member of the State University of New York system, and the Oneonta Normal School was officially renamed the State University College of Education in 1951.
Royal F. Netzer was the college’s president from 1951–1970, presiding over a period of tremendous growth. The three joined buildings known as the Morris Conference Complex were the first ones erected on the current campus. The cornerstone of the current building was laid in 1950, with one wing being completed in February 1951 and the other in September 1951. The two wings, Bacon and Denison Halls, were originally used as dormitories, which were much needed on the rapidly expanding campus.
In 1952, the Faculty-Student Association Inc.(forerunner of today’s Oneonta Auxiliary Services) purchased a 63-acre farm about four miles north of the college that led to the development of today’s 276-acre College Camp, which provides educational, recreational and social opportunities for the college community.
Home economics programs were added to the college’s teacher education programs, and in 1954, a Home Economics building and heating plant were constructed on the upper campus. These were followed in 1958 with the construction of a women’s dormitory, Wilber Hall, followed by Tobey Hall in 1959.
The 1960s were a period of rapid growth in the college’s operating budget, student enrollment, number of staff members and the campus itself. To alleviate the shortage of classrooms, 10 mobile classrooms were brought in as a temporary solution. Additional property was acquired to the north and west of the campus, providing two entrances from West Street, one near a new service building.
The first library on the upper campus was built in what is today’s Alumni Hall. Other new buildings on the upper campus included a dorm, Littell Hall; a cafeteria (Lee Hall) and the Chase Physical Fitness Center. A path connected the upper campus with Old Main, which was slowly being phased out as the main academic building.
In fall 1963, the college started accepting transfer students into 13 liberal arts programs, beginning the transition to a multipurpose higher education institution.
In 1964, a men’s dormitory (Golding Hall) and the first science building, known as Science I, were built. These were followed in 1966 with the construction of four administration and class buildings (Mills Dining Hall, Schumacher, Netzer and Hodgdon Instructional Resource Center), five dormitories (Ford, Grant, Hays, Huntington and Sherman halls) and the health center.
The late 1960s were a period of rapid faculty turnover. Between 1966 and 1970, there were 205 faculty resignations, retirements or contract terminations. With 35 or 40 new positions each year, the number of new faculty members increased from 35 in 1963 to 80 or more from 1966–1970. With the rapid growth in the number of faculty, the college’s four major academic departments began to split into separate departments. The Department of English, Speech and Theater, which also included Foreign Languages, was the first to subdivide in 1969 into three departments: English, Speech and Theater, and Foreign Languages. In 1970, the Science Department split into separate departments of Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics and Science Education, and the Social Science Department split into six separate departments.
By the early 1970s, several more new buildings had been constructed, including academic facilities (Fitzelle Hall, Fine Arts, Science II and the current Milne Library), Wilsbach Dining Hall, five dormitories (Matteston, MacDuff, Curtis, Blodgett and Hulbert halls) and the Hunt College Union, named for Charles W. Hunt, who served as the school’s principal/president from 1933–1951.
A field station on Otsego Lake in Cooperstown was also completed, stimulated by a gift of 300–400 additional acres. The new building housed an environmental laboratory facility for the Biology Department and the new graduate program in the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Objects, the forerunner to today’s Cooperstown Graduate Program in museum studies.
Between 1972 and 1980, teacher education enrollments declined dramatically, while liberal arts enrollments increased. The 1970s were a decade of state budget problems and declining enrollments. Clifford Craven led the college as president from 1970 to 1987.
The historic Old Main building was torn down in 1977, and in 1981, two pillars from the building were installed on a hill overlooking the SUNY Oneonta campus as a reminder of the college’s history. Today, they are part of a campus tradition for new and graduating students called “Passing Through the Pillars.”
In 1982, the College at Oneonta Foundation was formed with the mission of raising and administering gifts and grants to enhance the academic status of the college through endowment, scholarships and institutional programs. Alan B. Donovan served as college president from 1988–2008. Accomplishments during his tenure included advancements in technology, including Internet access; a more competitive admissions process, expanded multicultural programs and increased financial stability. The college’s endowment grew from $1.9 million when Donovan joined SUNY Oneonta in 1988, to $30 million when he left.
Challenges during Donovan's era included student violence in downtown Oneonta and racial tension on campus. The college made national news in fall 1992 during a racial-profiling incident known as the “Black List.” On the morning of Sept. 4, 1992, a 77-year-old woman visiting a family just outside the city of Oneonta told police she was attacked as she slept and struggled with her knife-wielding assailant before he fled. Based on a glimpse of the attacker's hand and his voice, she concluded he was black, and blood at the scene indicated he had been cut on the hand, police said. College officials gave New York State Police a list of 78 black male students to help in the investigation. In the following days, police stopped hundreds of people of color in the area, questioned them about their whereabouts and checked their hands for signs of wounds. Release of the list sparked public outrage and national media attention. The perpetrator was never found.
SUNY Oneonta’s commitment to community partnership took root in the 1990s with the establishment of the Center for Economic and Community Development and the Center for Social Responsibility and Community. Several construction projects were completed on Donovan’s watch, including the Alumni Field House in 1998 and the Robin Ross Higgins Hall in 2003. A $10 million renovation to the Human Ecology facilities was also completed in 2003.
In 2008, Nancy Kleniewski began her tenure as SUNY Oneonta’s seventh president. In 2009, she convened the Strategic Planning and Resource Council, composed of faculty, staff, students, alumni and community members and charged with developing a strategic plan to help define the college's future. The resulting “Mission, Vision, and Strategic Plan 2010” was adopted by the College Senate in spring 2010 to guide the college through 2015.
The mission of the college is “to unite excellence in teaching, scholarship, civic engagement, and stewardship to create a student-centered learning community." SUNY Oneonta Mission, Vision & Strategic Plan 2010 SUNY Oneonta is dedicated to providing an exceptional educational experience at an affordable cost. The college is known for outstanding and accessible faculty, a campus community committed to academics and service, developing students into lifelong learners, and a beautiful campus that helps nurture connections between the upper Susquehanna Valley of rural central New York and our global society.
Undergraduate degree programs
*The SUNY Oneonta College Observatory is home to the largest telescope in New York, a 1-meter (40") Newtonian reflector.
- Master of Arts (M.A.) Biology
- Master of Arts (M.A.) Earth Science
- Master of Arts (M.A.) History Museum Studies
- Master of Arts (M.A.) Mathematics
- Master of Science (M.S.) in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Master of Science in Education (M.S. in Education): Adolescence Education (Grades 7–12), Childhood Education (Grades 1–6), Family and Consumer Science Education (Grades K-12), Literacy Education, M.S. Ed. in Childhood Education with Literacy, School Counselor (K-12 certification), and Educational Technology Specialist (K-12 certification) Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Adolescence Education
Other academic programs
- Center for Social Science Research
- Cooperstown Biological Field Station
- International Education
- Center for Academic Development and Enrichment
- New York State Migrant Education
- Pre-professional Programs.
Over 3,000 students live in the 15 residence halls at SUNY Oneonta, which offer living arrangements ranging from doubles to apartments including several themed housing options such as the Quiet Section, Oneonta’s Wilderness Living/Learning (OWLS), First Year Experience, and “Making a Difference” sections. The Residence Life staff members offer academic and social programs as well as individual attention and a comfortable living environment. Dining services at SUNY Oneonta are offered by Sodexo, and the college’s residential dining halls were the first in the country designed specifically for Sodexo’s Campus Crossroads program. Dining plans are unlimited and offer options for additional dollars for purchases at cafes and other retail facilities on campus.
Clubs and activities