|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
|Posthumous style||not applicable|
Zbigņevs Stankevičs (Polish: Zbigniew Stankiewicz; born 15 February 1955), was appointed metropolitan archbishop of Riga on 19 June 2010 by Pope Benedict XVI. He previously served as Spiritual Director and Director of the Seminary Institute of Religious Sciences in Riga.
Stankevičs was born in Lejasciems into a family of Polish descent. In 1978, he obtained the Diploma in Engineering at the Riga Polytechnical Institute. He worked for 12 years prior to pursuing religious studies, first at a naval centre and then at a bank. At that time, he was Vice President of the 'Polish Union of Latvia'. After the fall of the Berlin Wall and the dissolution of the Soviet Union he entered the seminary in 1990 in Lublin, Poland. He studied philosophy and theology at the Catholic University of Lublin, receiving a Masters in Theology in 1996. He was ordained a priest on 16 June 1996 for the archdiocese of Riga.
After ordination he held the following positions: assistant priest of St Francis Parish in Riga (1996–2001), chaplain of the Missionary Sisters of Charity (1996–1999), Assistant Community charismatic "Effata", Spiritual Director Major Seminary of Riga (1999–2001).
From 2002 to 2008 he completed his studies in Rome at the Pontifical Lateran University, where he obtained his licentiate and doctorate summa cum laude in Fundamental Theology. During his stay in Rome, he was Director of the Blessed Pius IX Residence of the Pontifical Lateran University. In 2008, he became spiritual director of the Riga Major Seminary, director of the Institute of Religious Studies and assistant priest of Christ the King Parish in Riga.
He was ordained archbishop on Sunday, 8 August 2010 by Cardinal Pujats, assisted by Archbishop Luigi Bonazzi, the apostolic nuncio to the Baltic states, and by Archbishop Józef Kowalczyk, the primate of Poland. The ceremony occurred in the Evangelical Lutheran cathedral in Riga, which had been the Roman Catholic cathedral prior to the Protestant Reformation. The current Roman Catholic cathedral is too small to accommodate all of the political and religious dignitaries, including Latvian president Valdis Zatlers, who attended the three-hour ceremony.
Zbigņevs Stankevičs was installed as metropolitan archbishop of Riga on Saturday, 21 August 2010 in the Cathedral Basilica of St. James. Cardinal Joachim Meisner, Archbishop of Cologne, also attended.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Archbishop of Riga
19 June 2010–incumbent
- RINUNCIA DELL’ARCIVESCOVO METROPOLITA DI RIGA (LETTONIA) E NOMINA DEL SUCCESSORE, Vatican Information Service, 19 June 2010
- Archbishop Zbigņevs Stankevičs, Catholic Hierarchy, 21 June 2010
- Archbishop Zbigņevs Stankevičs, Catholic Hierarchy, 8 August 2010
- Doma baznīcā iesvētīts jaunais Rīgas arhib. Zbigņevs Stankevičs, Vatican Radio, 9 August 2010
- Amatā stājas jaunais katoļu baznīcas arhibīskaps Zbigņevs Stankevičs, Diena, 21 August 2010
- Zbigņevs Stankevičs pārņēma Rīgas arhidiecēzes vadību, D-Fakti, 23 August 2010
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Riga, Latvia
- Jauns Rīgas arhibīskaps Romas katoļu Baznīcā
- Vatican Information Service
- Jaunā Romas katoļu arhibīskapa – metropolīta Z. Stankeviča konsekrācija
- Iesvētīts jaunais arhibīskaps – metropolīts Zbigņevs Stankevičs
- Rīgas arhidiecēzes arhibīskaps – metropolīts Zbigņevs Stankevičs