FULVESTRANT- fulvestrant injection, solution
Athenex Pharmaceutical Division, LLC.
Fulvestrant injection is indicated for the treatment of:
- Hormone receptor (HR)-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women not previously treated with endocrine therapy, or
- HR-positive advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women with disease progression following endocrine therapy.
Fulvestrant injection is indicated for the treatment of:
- HR-positive, HER2-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancer in postmenopausal women in combination with ribociclib as initial endocrine based therapy or following disease progression on endocrine therapy.
- HR-positive, HER2-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancer in combination with palbociclib or abemaciclib in women with disease progression after endocrine therapy.
The recommended dose of fulvestrant injection is 500 mg to be administered intramuscularly into the buttocks (gluteal area) slowly (1 to 2 minutes per injection) as two 5 mL injections, one in each buttock, on Days 1, 15, 29, and once monthly thereafter [see Clinical Studies (14)].
When fulvestrant injection is used in combination with palbociclib, abemaciclib, or ribociclib, the recommended dose of fulvestrant injection is 500 mg to be administered intramuscularly into the buttocks (gluteal area) slowly (1 to 2 minutes per injection) as two 5 mL injections, one in each buttock, on Days 1, 15, 29, and once monthly thereafter.
When fulvestrant injection is used in combination with palbociclib, the recommended dose of palbociclib is a 125 mg capsule taken orally once daily for 21 consecutive days followed by 7 days off treatment to comprise a complete cycle of 28 days. Palbociclib should be taken with food. Refer to the Full Prescribing Information for palbociclib.
When fulvestrant injection is used in combination with abemaciclib, the recommended dose of abemaciclib is 150 mg orally, twice daily. Abemaciclib may be taken with or without food. Refer to the Full Prescribing Information for abemaciclib.
When fulvestrant injection is used in combination with ribociclib, the recommended dose of ribociclib is 600 mg taken orally, once daily for 21 consecutive days followed by 7 days off treatment resulting in a complete cycle of 28 days. Ribociclib can be taken with or without food. Refer to the Full Prescribing Information for ribociclib.
Pre/perimenopausal women treated with the combination of fulvestrant injection plus palbociclib, abemaciclib, or ribociclib, should be treated with luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) agonists according to current clinical practice standards [see Clinical Studies (14)].
A dose of 250 mg is recommended for patients with moderate hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh class B) to be administered intramuscularly into the buttock (gluteal area) slowly (1 to 2 minutes) as one 5 mL injection on Days 1, 15, 29, and once monthly thereafter.
When fulvestrant injection is used in combination with palbociclib, abemaciclib, or ribociclib, refer to monotherapy dose modification instructions for fulvestrant injection.
Refer to the Full Prescribing Information of co-administered palbociclib, abemaciclib, or ribociclib for dose modification guidelines in the event of toxicities, for use with concomitant medications, and other relevant safety information.
Administer the injection according to the local guidelines for performing large volume intramuscular injections.
NOTE: Due to the proximity of the underlying sciatic nerve, caution should be taken if administering fulvestrant injection at the dorsogluteal injection site [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3) and Adverse Reactions (6.1)].
The proper method of administration of fulvestrant injection for intramuscular use is described in the following instructions.
For each single-dose prefilled syringe:
- Remove glass syringe barrel from tray and check that it is not damaged.
- Remove perforated patient record label from syringe.
- Inspect drug product in glass syringe for any visible particulate matter or discoloration prior to use. Discard if particulate matter or discoloration is present.
- Peel open the safety needle (SafetyGlide™) outer packaging.
- Hold the syringe upright on the ribbed part (C). With the other hand, take hold of the cap (A) and carefully twist the cap counter-clockwise until the cap disconnects for removal (see Figure 1).
- Pull the cap (A) off in a straight upward direction. DO NOT TOUCH THE STERILE SYRINGE TIP (Luer-Lok) (B) (see Figure 2).
- Attach the safety needle to the syringe tip (Luer-Lok). Twist needle until firmly seated (see Figure 3). Confirm that the needle is locked to the Luer connector before moving or tilting the syringe out of the vertical plane to avoid spillage of syringe contents.
- Pull shield straight off needle to avoid damaging needle point.
- Remove needle sheath.
- Expel excess gas from the syringe (a small gas bubble may remain).
- Administer intramuscularly slowly (1 to 2 minutes per injection) into the buttock (gluteal area). For user convenience, the needle ‘bevel up’ position is orientated to the lever arm, as shown in Figure 4.
- After injection, immediately activate the lever arm to deploy the needle shielding by applying a single-finger stroke to the activation assisted lever arm to push the lever arm completely forward. Listen for a click. Confirm that the needle shielding has completely covered the needle (see Figure 5).
NOTE: Activate away from self and others.
- Discard the empty syringe into an approved sharps collector in accordance with applicable regulations and institutional policy.
- Repeat steps 1 through 13 for second syringe.
How To Use Fulvestrant Injection
For the 2 x 5 mL syringe package, the contents of both syringes must be injected to receive the 500 mg recommended dose.
SAFETYGLIDE™ INSTRUCTIONS FROM BECTON DICKINSON
SafetyGlideTM is a trademark of Becton Dickinson and Company.
Important Administration Information
To help avoid HIV (AIDS), HBV (Hepatitis), and other infectious diseases due to accidental needlesticks, contaminated needles should not be recapped or removed, unless there is no alternative or that such action is required by a specific medical procedure. Hands must remain behind the needle at all times during use and disposal.
Do not autoclave SafetyGlide™ Needle before use.
Becton Dickinson guarantees the contents of their unopened or undamaged packages to be sterile, non-toxic, and non-pyrogenic.
Fulvestrant Injection, an injection for intramuscular administration, is supplied as 5 mL single-dose prefilled syringes containing 250 mg per 5 mL fulvestrant.
All MedLibrary.org resources are included in as near-original form as possible, meaning that the information from the original provider has been rendered here with only typographical or stylistic modifications and not with any substantive alterations of content, meaning or intent.