GABAPENTIN- gabapentin tablet
Westminster Pharmaceuticals, LLC
Gabapentin is indicated for:
- Adjunctive therapy in the treatment of partial onset seizures, with and without secondary generalization, in adults and pediatric patients 3 years and older with epilepsy
Patients 12 years of age and above
The starting dose is 300 mg three times a day. The recommended maintenance dose of gabapentin is 300 mg to 600 mg three times a day. Dosages up to 2,400 mg/day have been well tolerated in long-term clinical studies. Doses of 3,600 mg/day have also been administered to a small number of patients for a relatively short duration, and have been well tolerated. Administer gabapentin three times a day using 300 mg or 400 mg capsules, or 600 mg or 800 mg tablets. The maximum time between doses should not exceed 12 hours.
Pediatric Patients Age 3 to 11 years
The starting dose range is 10 mg/kg/day to 15 mg/kg/day, given in three divided doses, and the recommended maintenance dose reached by upward titration over a period of approximately 3 days. The recommended maintenance dose of gabapentin in patients 3 to 4 years of age is 40 mg/kg/day, given in three divided doses. The recommended maintenance dose of gabapentin in patients 5 to 11 years of age is 25 mg/kg/day to 35 mg/kg/day, given in three divided doses. Gabapentin may be administered as the oral solution, capsule, or tablet, or using combinations of these formulations. Dosages up to 50 mg/kg/day have been well tolerated in a long-term clinical study. The maximum time interval between doses should not exceed 12 hours.
Dosage adjustment in patients 12 years of age and older with renal impairment or undergoing hemodialysis is recommended, as follows (see dosing recommendations above for effective doses in each indication):
|TID = Three times a day; BID = Two times a day; QD = Single daily dose|
|Renal Function Creatinine Clearance (mL/min)||Total Daily Dose Range (mg/day)||Dose Regimen (mg)|
|≥ 60||900 to 3,600||300 TID||400 TID||600 TID||800 TID||1,200 TID|
|>30 to 59||400 to 1,400||200 BID||300 BID||400 BID||500 BID||700 BID|
|>15 to 29||200 to 700||200 QD||300 QD||400 QD||500 QD||700 QD|
|15*||100 to 300||100 QD||125 QD||150 QD||200 QD||300 QD|
|Post-Hemodialysis Supplemental Dose (mg)†|
Creatinine clearance (CLCr) is difficult to measure in outpatients. In patients with stable renal function, creatinine clearance can be reasonably well estimated using the equation of Cockcroft and Gault:
|CLCr =||[140 -- age (years)] × weight (kg)||(× 0.85 for female patients)|
|72 × serum creatinine (mg/dL)|
The use of gabapentin in patients less than 12 years of age with compromised renal function has not been studied.
Because elderly patients are more likely to have decreased renal function, care should be taken in dose selection, and dose should be adjusted based on creatinine clearance values in these patients.
Administer gabapentin orally with or without food. Gabapentin capsules should be swallowed whole with water. Inform patients that, should they divide the scored 600 mg or 800 mg gabapentin tablet in order to administer a half-tablet, they should take the unused half-tablet as the next dose. Half tablets not used within 28 days of dividing the scored tablet should be discarded. If the gabapentin dose is reduced, discontinued, or substituted with an alternative medication, this should be done gradually over a minimum of 1 week (a longer period may be needed at the discretion of the prescriber).
- 100 mg: White to off-white powder filled in size “3″ hard gelatin capsules with opaque white colored cap and opaque white colored body imprinted SG on cap and 179 on body with black ink.
- 300 mg: White to off-white powder filled in size “1″ hard gelatin capsules with opaque yellow colored cap and opaque yellow colored body imprinted SG on cap and 180 on body with black ink.
- 400 mg: White to off-white powder filled in size “0″ hard gelatin capsules with opaque orange colored cap and opaque orange colored body imprinted SG on cap and 181 on body with black ink.
- 600 mg: White to off white, modified capsule shape, biconvex, film-coated functional scored tablets debossed with “SG” on one side and “177″ on other side with bisect line on both sides.
- 800 mg: White to off white, modified capsule shape, biconvex, film-coated functional scored tablets debossed with “SG” on one side and “178″ on other side with bisect line on both sides.
All MedLibrary.org resources are included in as near-original form as possible, meaning that the information from the original provider has been rendered here with only typographical or stylistic modifications and not with any substantive alterations of content, meaning or intent.