VABOMERE- vaborbactam and meropenem injection, powder, for solution
Melinta Therapeutics, Inc.
VABOMERE® is indicated for the treatment of patients 18 years of age and older with complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) including pyelonephritis caused by the following susceptible microorganisms: Escherichia coli , Klebsiella pneumoniae , and Enterobacter cloacae species complex.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of VABOMERE and other antibacterial drugs, VABOMERE should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
The recommended dosage of VABOMERE is 4 grams (meropenem 2 grams and vaborbactam 2 grams) administered every 8 hours by intravenous (IV) infusion over 3 hours in patients 18 years of age and older with an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) greater than or equal to 50 mL/min/1.73m2. The duration of treatment is for up to 14 days.
Dosage adjustment is recommended in patients with renal impairment who have an eGFR less than 50 mL/min/1.73m2. The recommended dosage of VABOMERE in patients with varying degrees of renal function is presented in Table 1. For patients with changing renal function, monitor serum creatinine concentrations and eGFR at least daily and adjust the dosage of VABOMERE accordingly [see Use in Specific Populations (8.6) and Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
Meropenem and vaborbactam are removed by hemodialysis [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)]. For patients maintained on hemodialysis, administer VABOMERE after a hemodialysis session.
|eGFR *(mL/min/ 1.73m2)||Recommended Dosage Regimen for VABOMERE (meropenem and vaborbactam)†, ‡, §||Dosing Interval|
|30 to 49||VABOMERE 2 grams (meropenem 1 gram and vaborbactam 1 gram)||Every 8 hours|
|15 to 29||VABOMERE 2 grams (meropenem 1 gram and vaborbactam 1 gram)||Every 12 hours|
|Less than 15||VABOMERE 1 gram (meropenem 0.5 grams and vaborbactam 0.5 grams)||Every 12 hours|
VABOMERE is supplied as a dry powder in a single-dose vial that must be constituted and further diluted prior to intravenous infusion as outlined below. VABOMERE does not contain preservatives. Aseptic technique must be used for constitution and dilution.
1. To prepare the required dose for intravenous infusion, constitute the appropriate number of vials, as determined from Table 2 below. Withdraw 20 mL of 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, from an infusion bag and constitute each vial of VABOMERE.
2. Mix gently to dissolve. The constituted VABOMERE solution will have an approximate meropenem concentration of 0.05 gram/mL and an approximate vaborbactam concentration of 0.05 gram/mL. The final volume is approximately 21.3 mL. The constituted solution is not for direct injection.
3. The constituted solution must be diluted further, immediately, in a 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP infusion bag before intravenous infusion. The intravenous infusion of the diluted solution must be completed within 4 hours if stored at room temperature or 22 hours if stored refrigerated at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F).
4. To dilute the constituted solution, withdraw the full or partial constituted vial contents from each vial and add it back into the infusion bag in accordance with Table 2 below.
|VABOMERE Dose(meropenem and vaborbactam)||Number of Vials to Constitute for Further Dilution||Volume to Withdraw from Each Constituted Vial for Further Dilution||Volume of Infusion Bag||Final Infusion Concentration of VABOMERE|
|4 grams(2 grams-2 grams)||2 vials||Entire contents(approximately 21 mL)||250 mL||16 mg/mL|
|500 mL||8 mg/mL|
|1,000 mL||4 mg/mL|
|2 grams(1 gram-1 gram)||1 vial||Entire contents(approximately 21 mL)||125 mL||16 mg/mL|
|250 mL||8 mg/mL|
|500 mL||4 mg/mL|
|1 gram(0.5 gram-0.5 gram)||1 vial||10.5 mL(discard unused portion)||70 mL||14.3 mg/mL|
|125 mL||8 mg/mL|
|250 mL||4 mg/mL|
5. Visually inspect the diluted VABOMERE solution for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration (the color of the VABOMERE infusion solution for administration ranges from colorless to light yellow). Discard unused portion after use.
All MedLibrary.org resources are included in as near-original form as possible, meaning that the information from the original provider has been rendered here with only typographical or stylistic modifications and not with any substantive alterations of content, meaning or intent.